Friday, July 26, 2013

A momentary fall from Grace

Rough week in hunter gatherer land, I was on the road for 5 days and finally an airport took me down, three hour delay, trapped in an airport, hungry, looking wantonly at the plastic shrubs in the airport and shop after shop of incredibly unhealthy food lined up, my stomach screaming at me, my brain beginning to fog, feeling like Dorothy in the middle of the tornado (a little dramatic). I found a place that offered a lentil salad, the place is called Argo, I quizzed the young lady at the counter but I knew she had no idea about the origins of the ingredients, processed or not: the lentils, onions, tomato, oil and salt. I know they did not satisfy the purity of hunter gatherer but could, but then she said “and spices.” I knew that could be anything, could be made in a lab, far from processed so I asked, what kind? She looked at me quizzically, like dude you want it or not? She shrugged and said I don’t know, so I shrugged, the shrug of a man who lost a battle in the war for control of his own body, but not the war.  So I had it; and it was the finest lentil salad I have ever had. But I am back on track for another two weeks.  I also learned a lesson that many of you already know, many of the cravings for junk food are tied to my emotional state and particular times of the day/night. A rough day or late at night I find the cravings increase, I have been satisfying those moments generally with apples (also plums, and pears) instead of dark chocolate or a granola bar…  Love yourself, love you  

No comments: